What is a Funeral Parlour?
Funeral parlours, more commonly known as funeral homes in Australia, are businesses that provide funeral services for the communities they serve. They can also referred to as funeral directors, although the term “funeral director” is also used to refer to the individuals employed by funeral parlours to arrange and carry out the necessary services.
What do Funeral Parlours Do?
- meeting with the family
- transfer of the deceased to the funeral parlour or mortuary
- mortuary care
- placement of death and funeral notices
- registration of death with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
- making arrangements with the cemetery or crematoirum
- liaising with third parties such as celebrants, florists, caterers, venues, musicians and other service providers
- provision of staff, hearse and other transport required by the family
Many funeral parlours also have a funeral parlour chapel where you can hold the entire service if you are planning a single service funeral, or the first part of the service if you are planning a dual service funeral. For information, see our Guide to Planning a Funeral for a discussion of the different service options and types of funerals available to families.
How Much Does a Funeral Parlour Cost?
How much a funeral parlour will charge you for funeral services depends on the type of service you want to arrange.
Apart from the type of service you choose, prices also naturally vary between funeral parlours based on the markets they serve, ranging from low-cost operators to the more lavish, high-end funeral parlours.
Finding a Funeral Parlour
Finding a funeral parlour can be difficult as it’s often required at a time of grief when families are in shock. There are dozens of options and it can be daunting understanding and comparing all the different options.
That’s why we created Gathered Here. On our website, families can instantly compare the prices and customer reviews of over 650 funeral parlours around Australia. To get started:
- Go to www.gatheredhere.com.au
- Select burial or cremation
- Select the type of service you would like
- Select whether you would like a viewing
- Type in your suburb or postcode and click “Compare”
You’ll see all funeral parlours within 15km of your location, and you can filter results according to price, customer reviews and distance.
For help finding a funeral parlour in each state, see our city specific guides:
- Funeral Parlours, Sydney
- Funeral Parlours, Melbourne
- Funeral Parlours, Brisbane
- Funeral Parlours, Adelaide
- Funeral Parlours, Perth
Funeral Parlours serve an important function in our communities, and it’s important to find one who understands your wishes and will ensure that your loved one is properly looked after and celebrated. With the availability of the internet, there are now hundreds of funeral parlour reviews from customers that are easily accessible on websites such as ours, and we highly recommend you look at some of these reviews when doing your research.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or leave us a comment below.
See the full picture and make fully informed decisions. Move forward in the certainty that your loved one’s memory will be looked after. Funeral Homes are Gathered Here.